Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Random Thought of The Day: Male Vocal

2 post a day is definitely rare on my rarely updated blog, but as I come across Louis Armstrong songs in my long buried song list on this fine day I can't help myself, I need to share this to more people.

It got me thinking for quite sometime, what happen to male vocalist, most of them trying so hard to hit the high notes, taking over the females territory; sacrificing the masculinity and power of good o' deep voice. What happened to the voice quality like of Frank Sinatra and Louis Armstrong, even Elvis just to name a few. Those deep soothing voice that would catch one attention even on A Cappella or Scat singing.

Louis Armstrong
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Louis Armstrong (August 4, 1901 – July 6, 1971), nicknamed Satchmo or Sachimo and Pops, was an American jazz trumpeter and singer.

Coming to prominence in the 1920s as an innovative cornet and trumpet virtuoso, Armstrong was a foundational influence on jazz, shifting the music's focus from collective improvisation to solo performers. With his distinctive gravelly voice, Armstrong was an influential singer, demonstrating great dexterity as an improviser, bending the lyrics and melody of a song for expressive purposes. He was also greatly skilled at scat singing, or wordless vocalizing.

Renowned for his charismatic stage presence, Armstrong's influence extended well beyond jazz, and by the end of his career in the '60s, he was widely regarded as a profound influence on popular music in general: critic Steve Leggett describes Armstrong as "perhaps the most important American musician of the 20th century."

I think that his musical talent is superb, and I PERSONALLY think that it was his wordless vocalizing that spark the idea of beat box. Isn't it just funny to think that life is like a circle and a one's history may become another's invention. I'm really hoping that if any music maker happens to stumble upon this piece of article, make some music for real man! Enough of all those sissy songs, especially those pops with too much falsetto. Those songs won't last long, and 90% of the time others can only remember the chorus anyway. A great song is one that people wouldn't fast forward to chorus and play next track at the end of chorus.

So why don't I start writing some song and show to the world how songs ought to be? Who said I'm not, but it's yet time for me to share it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clearly you have something to say, remember subscribe to comment so you will know when you have a reply?

Loading
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

What is lauyeelosophy?

It was a little unexpected that this blog is still up at running after so many years, and definitely a huge chunk of inactivity. Started off with nothing but some personal nags, sharing some of the songs that I genuinely like and their lyrics, and some thoughts that I have no one around me to discuss with, bullshits that I've structured.

Soon I'll put everything into a mixing bowl, sharing lyrics with a structured bullshit story. I wouldn't update it as often as I'd like to but for people who like reading, I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed.

Yes a picture is worth a thousand words, but it wouldn't be as entertaining as a thousand words for sure.


Sincerely yours,
lauyee